Friday, March 20, 2009

Jeopardy Question and Funny Comments

I'll take things I never thought I'd have to deal with for 100 Alex.

Monday morning Sydney woke up with a fever ranging from 100.2 to 101.0 Not a big deal right_ so I call Jas at work to see if it was okay to give her tylenol yet. He said you should take her to the Dr. I said are you kidding me I am not dragging 4 kids to the Dr. for a little fever. Long story short- he won-I went. Dr. says her fever is 100.4 you need to take her to the ER. I said excuse me- Evidently (stupid me) that is very high and dangerous for a newborn.

I call Jason bawling because I don't wan't to take all the kids to the ER and now I'm nervous. His Cpt. let him go and he meets me at the ER I had Jas take her in because he knew the staff and had the medical know how.


Jas gave her a blessing and updated me often. Her fever was getting higher and they were very worried- they ran blood tests, hooked her up to an IV, took x-rays, and gave my baby a spinal tap. It was very hard for Jas to see. Final verdict- she was admitted for Pnemonia and dehydration. I just cried! When I showed up to the hospital and saw her hooked up to everything it broke my heart! They said she'd be there for 1-3 days.

I found some comfort however when I showed up and found that our good friend Ipuna was teaching her nursing students in the hospital that day and was our nurse! The whole staff was actually wonderful.
Is this not the saddest thing you've ever seen? Bad story gets better. She reacted so quickly to the antibiotics that her fever dropped and she was doing so well that they let her go late that night. She was getting better but still not fun for her.



The next 4 days she had to go to the Pediatricians and get antibiotic injections (very painful) then she had to go get more blood work done to make sure she's all clear. (The lady missed twice, and was fishing around with the needle) It was so awful and the baby was screaming so bad I seriously almost passed out! She's also on an oral antibiotic that hurts her stomach so bad that she just cries for the next 6 hours after her dose. Today is the last dose and she is healthy and healed.



Let me tell you about my miracle baby- she is here for a reason and she is so strong. So far life has not been wonderful for her, she has been through so much already in her 6 short weeks here-I can't wait for her to be out of pain.



This was really scary for us but it gave me a great respect for those that have to watch their children suffer from even more serious things like cancers and life threatening diseases. We were so lucky she healed so quickly, preisthood blessings are so amazing!

It also made me greatful for modern medicine. If we lived in the 1800's I don't think my sweet baby would even be alive. She never would have survived the delivery and pnemonia took the life of many people. How lucky we are to have the things we have.


On that note- moms of baby girls...when you take her out all dressed in pink with bows in their hair, what is the funniest question you get..... Is it a boy or a girl, or how old is HE.. ahhh -so sweet Ashley bought her this hysterical shirt. I wonder how many questions I'll get now?


18 comments:

Ash said...

What a sweet little lady! And thank you for my picture at the end. Now might I just ask to keep her? She looks like me, and that way I dont have to suffer thru pregnancy again?!

Stuart and Sarah said...

1st of all that shirt is AWESOME! 2nd Sydney is so adorable..who does she look like? Ashley??? No- I am thinking the milk man's baby ;-) and lastly I am so grateful that everything worked out okay for you guys and Sydney got better

Page said...

She is totally her fathers child! Finally! But she looks a lot like Connor as well.

Jerry and Sarah said...

Wow, how scary! I'm so glad she got better so quickly. I would have been a wreck. She is such a doll! I LOVE that shirt. I think I'll need to get one.

Beth said...

I am so glad that she is doing better! I love the shirt! I will bet that people will still ask though, no one pays attention to the details!

chanel said...

oh my gosh, I am so sorry page!! how aweful for you all to go through, especially your sweet angel! i am sooooo happy she's better, what a relief and blessing! and seriously how great is heavenly father to give you ipuna as your nurse?!?!

that shirt is the best!
she is DARLING!

i thought about calling you this week, perhaps another prompting i ignored! SORRY! I am a bad friend. you guys will all be in our prayers, yuo deserve some easy days ahead!

Kara said...

I love that shirt. I have no idea why people can't tell when a boy is in all blue or a girl is in all pink. The comments i have had usually come from old men, and I just want to scream, "Would you put a boy in all pink ya dummy!?!" I guess yea maybe an old man would. Haha! I'm so glad she is feeling better!

Sims Mom said...

Isn't it awful to see your baby all hooked up to that junk. Ugh, little Shelbs was in NICU for a week and it was one of the the hardest times of my life. You want all their suffering to be placed on you instead. All these experiences are to make us stronger, but man it is rough! Your are awesome LOVE YOU!

Grahm and Ashley said...

What a sweetheart that little GIRl is!! I'm sorry you had to endure that, and I thought circumcision was bad!! I hope all stay well with that her! I can't believe she had to get all those shots, it's heartbreaking to watch your baby suffer! Heavenly Father is definitely watching over your family! I'm sure of that!

Becky said...

Sorry to hear about Sydney being so sick. I wouldnt have thought that temperature was too high either. Good thing Jason insisted knew so you could get her the care to get well so quickly. You'll probably be uber cautious now!

Leslie said...

Yikes! I'm glad everything turned out. She's darling.

Http://whatmeeganmakes.com said...

What a doll! Literally! I am so glad it all worked out. And, Ipuna was ther-what a blessing! You are a very blessed family. Love you!

Kaitlyn Devin and Grace said...

page---i call that shirt when sydney grows out of it!!!!!! anyway, i love ya tons. cute pics, she is connors twin who is his daddys twin, so i guess they are triplets? anyway, sometimes people overlook connor and jasons similarities because of the hair color, but u cant miss with sydney :) love ya

Lindsay said...

that picture on the hospital bed is so sad! I'm glad she has recovered so quickly. Let me know if you need anything!!

Grammies Inn said...

Sure am glad this story turned out well. If it is any consolation, I wouldn't have thought that temp so bad either. It is so hard to see the little ones sick. Aunt Robin

Marylin said...

Page I didn't know she had been sick until Carla told me the other day! I forgot to say something the other day at the meeting! So sorry she was in the hospital, there is nothing worse than watching your child suffer! I am glad she is doing well! Next time you need help with the kids for ANYTHING call me!! I don't mind!! :) Love ya

Ipuna Black said...

I am sooo glad she is doing better. Cute little thing.

Heather & Greg said...

She is so stinkin cute, I love holding her at the games and it has been fun getting to know you and Jason (even though he throws baseballs at me HAHa).