Our baby was born in August of 1997. She was truly our first born child.
We took her everywhere with us. She was a faithful companion, she was there for every important event in our lives. Our wedding, the birth of all our children, she was there for it all.
We had to make the painful decision to take her out of pain. She had tumors covering her body, she could no longer walk because her arthritis was so bad, her cataracts were covering her eyes, she had "bed sores" covering her legs since she couldn't move, and worst of all, she quit wagging her tail. I know that sounds bizarre but even when she was in pain she would still wag her tail when we walked in and try to greet us. We knew she wasn't happy anymore.
We knew our baby was suffering and we were being selfish by keeping her here, we just couldn't bear the thought of loosing her.
It was a very spiritual evening, Marshall who is normally very energetic could even feel it, he came and layed by her, his goodbye.
Each of the kids took their turn saying goodbye, it was so hard to watch their little hearts breaking, she had been there their whole lives.
She was so much more than a dog to us.
The vet came to our house. It was a blessing so find someone who would do this for us. She was so wonderful and caring. Baila was always scared of vet offices, I couldn't stand the thought of her last moments being spent shaking and afraid. Jason took the kids out of the house and my brother came to be with me, I couldn't let her go alone.
I am having a very hard time writing this as it is so raw and painful even these many months later. The vet gave her an IV and she went to sleep. It was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do.
Compassionate Pet Cremation came and picked her up in a little dogie hearse. They were so respectful and kind, let me take what time I needed to say goodbye. I am so glad we had her cremated, I still feel like she is with us. In reality though she is in heaven with our beloved family dog (her best friend) Hanky waiting for us, completely pain free.
This is how we will always remember our girl.
Baila Law 13 years old.


2 comments:
Cant handle it! This baby was so important to me. When I lives with you she slept in my bed. Her best friend was my Hankie. I love them and miss them like crazy!
Oh my gosh, I am sobbing reading this. I remember Balia! I am so sorry for your loss and so grateful you got 13 years with her.
Post a Comment